Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Is Jesus Sad When I'm Sad?



John 11:35 Jesus Wept. 


The shortest verse in the Bible and can also be so comforting, your able to see Jesus in a new way. It goes against any belief that God has no emotions and no messy involvement with people. God cares how you feel and can even be touched by your brokenness. Even if you can't put into words exactly how deep your hurt goes. When all you can do is cry. 

The story of Lazarus was more about Jesus than it is about Lazarus, the depth of the story showed that you don't have to hide your grief, your broken heart, your hurt, from Him. He can be moved by it. Jesus wept because we wept. He can relate to us. [To read the full story read John chapter 11]

When He saw everyone crying over the death of Lazarus He also cried openly, He empathized with their grief and perhaps He was troubled at some of the people's unbelief of who He is and His power but in either situation Jesus proved that He cared enough for us to cry with us in our heart break.

I am NOT a public cryer, now I do cry every now and then, as does most people but crying in front of anyone is real uncomfortable for me. To me crying is a very vulnerable thing. I remember a couple years ago a friend of mine comforted me while I was crying. You see, at that time it had been about 3 years since we had been friends and I never showed any real vulnerability so when I did, the person gently smiled and said .. "this is the most human I've ever seen you". . (LOL) My friend didn't think I was a walking robot but was just saying that I had never exhibited this amount of vulnerability and openness .

Speed forward to this past Sunday, the church that I attend has groups that meet in between services to just talk, meet people and just support others. I sat in on the Women's group and these women shared some of their life experiences that they've been through and some are even still going through. Hearing their stories, struggles, victories, moved me, I just remember feeling so much compassion toward them and it moved me to the point of crying WITH them. 

How much more compassion does Jesus have toward you and what you're going through? 

Why did Jesus cry if He already knew He was going to raise up Lazarus?....because He understands the pain, the brokeness, He's not cold or emotionless that He cannot relate to your broken heart. If you think He's not concerned about you and you're well being you need to remember how much love He has, He IS LOVE. His heart is too big not to be moved by your tears.

He cried WITH the people who were mourning Lazarus' death . He was moved by their pain, He saw them and understood how they felt. He shared the experience with them. Not just the tragedy of Lazarus' death but the victory of Lazarus being risen.

Jesus' heart is for you, not just when your heart is broken and you feel like no one gets it, but when you come out of it. He already sees your victory through this. He already planned it out....but what's great about it is just because He knows the day of your deliverance before hand doesn't mean He won't walk with you through your struggle and that His heart isn't concerned for you.

In John chapter 11 you see a lot of Jesus' emotions ; compassion, sorrow, even frustration.

You can't be afraid or hesitant to be real with Jesus, as if He can't possibly understand what you're going through, He understands them because He's experienced those emotions. You don't have to carry the heavy burdens of your pain anymore. You can completely let it go and be transparent with Him with no fear of judgement. 

The same Jesus who cried with all those who was mourning is the One who delivered them from their pain.




No comments:

Post a Comment